Virtual Historical Tours


VIRTUAL HISTORICAL TOURS




Virtual Tour. [Digital Image]. Virtual House Plan Tours.Retrieved on July 3 from https://saterdesign.com/blogs/news/virtual-house-plan-tours


I have some family that doesn’t like to travel.  I am grateful for the technology that we have available today that allow us to see various historical places without having to travel there.  I see value in the experience of seeing various locations and getting to know them and exploring what it could have felt like to walk in the time that they lived.  However, I am excited to see that you can still explore no matter where you are and even though it isn’t the same experience, you do get the invaluable exposure to it.

Here are some great sites that I found where you can take virtual tours back into history:

I’ve lived in Virginia my entire life so I’ve explored a lot and know the value in seeing things while they are still open to the public.  I haven’t always lived in Northern Virginia but do get out to see things that I’ve never experienced.  Here are a few things that I would recommend to my friends and family as a way to discover local history or history that is driving distance:

Mount Vernon Virtual Tour: Alexandria, VA
I live super close and on the weekends we often take our bicycles and ride from Alexandria up to Mount Vernon.  It is a beautiful ride and allows us to not only bond as a family but see the beautiful setting. The virtual tour, doesn’t get you to experience the farm or the boat ride there but it does show you more.
https://www.mountvernon.org/the-estate-gardens/the-mansion/mansion-virtual-tour/

Chatham Manor: Fredericksburg, VA

I really liked this tour. It was easy to get to and only a few hours away. I went in the fall so the leaves were turning and it was a beautiful way to see it.

Monticello: Charlottesville, VA 
This was one of the best house tours that I’ve ever been on. The guides were amazing and really brought the place alive. I had a great time and think that even if you watch the virtual tour that you will get something out of it.
https://www.monticello.org/house-gardens/virtual-tours-of-monticello/

International Locations:
I’ve been fortunate to have been able to do some traveling but through the virtual tours, you can experience some of what it is like to be there.  I don’t think that you get the experience of the wonder of how small you feel next to things or the beautiful lines or vibrant colors but you could get the overall awareness of it.

Notre Dame: Paris France
This site takes you on a virtual tour of the iconic structure and mentions how much of it burned earlier this year.

https://virtualworldtour.net/notre-dame-cathedral-paris-france

The Vatican: Rome, Italy
This highlights various rooms of the Vatican without you having to leave your home.  It is a great way to gain exposure to the world if you don’t have the time or budget to support it.

http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/collezioni/musei/stanze-di-raffaello/tour-virtuale.html

Versailles: Paris, France
This is a cool virtual experience that gives you the ability to see Versailles from the convenience of your home.

Comments

Popular Posts